Close this search box.
Ai Insurance Organization

Foreign Executor Bond

Required when the Executor of the Estate resides outside of the provincial or national jurisdiction of the court.

Start the Quote Process

northbridge 1 1
The Guarantee 1
Edc 1
aig logo 1

What is a Foreign Executor Bond?

Some provinces require an Executor who resides outside the jurisdiction of the court overseeing the estate, to post a foreign executor bond, ensuring that they will carry out all the duties required, in good faith.

Foreign executors may need to file a Surety Bond before the court will grant Letters of Probate. In Ontario, they are called a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee. The foreign executor bond will hold the executor accountable in case the assets are misappropriated outside of Canada, to the detriment of the beneficiaries.

If the estate is large and/or complex and there are a number of beneficiaries, the testator, or the court, may still require a foreign executor bond to be posted to protect those who inherit.

The estate will normally bear the cost of a surety bond and approval requires that the executor is of sound financial position.

Once the estate administration is completed, the executor must file sufficient evidence to the court in order for the bond to be released.


Canadian common law regards trust as being resident where the trustee resides. The Income Tax Act considers the residency of trust in Canada to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

The act states that an estate is a trust for tax purposes, and is generally considered to be resident where the trustee, executor, heir, or legal representative, who manages or controls the trust assets, resides.

So, if your sole executor is a non-resident of Canada, your estate may be considered non-resident.

Ask for a Free Consultation

Want to speak with one of our estate specialists on a call or in-person? Out of the country and want to have a meeting over Skype? No problem.

Want to skip any questionnaires and get some easy answers with no obligations.

Frequently Asked Questions

Should your executor or trustee move from Canada while the estate’s trust is in existence, or before the estate administration is complete, the estate would be subject to a deemed disposition.

If there is more than one executor or trustee, the residency of the person who clearly exercises a substantial portion of the management and control of the assets will determine the residency of the estate or trust. If, however, there is equal management and control, the residency of the estate or trust may be located where the majority of the trustees reside.

If the above cannot determine the residence of the trust, the Canada Revenue Agency will consider other factors, such as the location of the assets and where the legal rights of the estate or trust’s assets are enforceable.

There are no requirements that an executor is a Canadian resident -a foreign executor can hire a Canadian lawyer, accountant, or financial professional to help administer the estate.

Mask group 5

Estate Bond Program for Lawyers

If you are an estate lawyer and would like to refer your clients, learn more about our program below:

Ai provides value not only to our clients but to our trusted partners in private, public, and legal practices. We are committed to offering our customers and their representation the highest possible standards of service the bonding industry has to offer.

We believe in organically growing our network of business affiliates to assist and provide financial surety to lawyers across Canada and abroad.

Contact us by filling out the form below if your client requires an estate bond, if you have any questions about the estate bonding process, or if you would like to become a centre of influence for your clients.